Attention: Promoters, Artistic Directors, Impresarios and Dreamers!
I’ve provided conceptional input, strategic support and organisational development to a number of cultural sector organisations and projects a selection of which are detailed below.
1. The edifying, popular and long-running ‘edutation’ project entitled Griots t’ Garage – A Musical History of The African Diaspora in which the history of music of African origin is juxtaposed with the story of the Black struggle performed in less than 90 minutes accompanied with projected moving and still imagery provided by the visionary Yeast Culture (Courtney Pine, Jamie Cullum) vijays.
2. In 2010 the Brazzmatazz project submission to the Cultural Olympiad Arts Council competition resulting in it’s selection as one of only five short-listed projects for the Yorkshire Region – out of over 240 submissions. Controvertially pipped to the post by Leeds City’s entry Brazzmatazz’s showcase was secretly video recorded (by me of course) which garnered over 1500 youtube hits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=bCsY0KFNiY8).
3. When Glasgow Int’l Jazz Festival invited submissions for a guest curator in 2007 my proposal of a programme of events commemorating the Bicentenary of the Abolition of Slavery in the UK was selected over dozens of entries and I assisted in co-ordinating the programme which involved over 100 artists including a talk by the academic Dr Robert Beckford, and concerts by Cleveland Watkiss, Jason Yarde, Empirical and Courtney Pine. The highlight was Legends of Jazz, a band made up of the older generation of Caribbean jazz musicians – including the then 92 year old Coleridge Goode, pianist Russ Henderson, jazz dancer Will Gaines, (the late) Andy Hamilton, trumpeters (the late) Harry Beckett and Tan Tan Thornton and original Jazz Jamaica drummer Kenrick Rowe.
4. Harrogate Int’l Music Festival 2012 my programming of a selection of jazz acts and workshops elicited the following high praise from festival director Sharon Canavar “…a huge thank you for the co-ordinating and bringing together the events under the DR curatorship. Really appreciate it.”
5. Jazz Consultant for Sky Arts OH TV Jazz Weekender Programme.
Contact | firstname.lastname@example.org | +44 (0)1302 714 202 | +44 (0)7841 675 263